During the Montana Muzzleloader Hunting Season, a muzzleloader must not be capable of being loaded from the breech of the barrel and may not be loaded with any pre-prepared paper or metallic cartridges; must be charged with black powder, pyrodex, or an equivalent; must be ignited by a percussion, flintlock, matchlock, or Wheelock mechanism; must be a minimum of .45 caliber; may have no more than two barrels; and must only use plain lead projectiles, not sabots or similar projectiles.
Montana Muzzleloader Hunting Season
Montana has recently adopted a muzzleloader season, to be the last state in the US to adopt a separate muzzleloader season. Their muzzleloader season is from December 11-19, 2021. Click HERE for more details.
please visit http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/seasons/ for hunting season details.
Montana Muzzleloader Hunting Season Regulations
- The hunt is open to elk and deer licenses or permits valid for the general season.
- The hunt does not supersede other hunting seasons taking place during that time such as game damage hunts or elk shoulder seasons.
- Only traditional single or double-barrel muzzleloaders with iron sights, a minimum of .45 caliber and traditional designs such as flintlock, percussion cap or matchlock are allowed.
- Modern muzzleloaders with scopes are prohibited.
- Hunter orange will be required.
This information is subject to change, for more information visit: http://fwp.mt.gov/
Buy a muzzleloader in Montana online!